Monday, April 6, 2015

Farewell Grandma

Grandmothers are synonym with their hearty meals and their insistent desire to spoil their grandchildren. I used to have those hearty meals.

My maternal grandma was Teochew so I had plenty of good Teochew food when she was still around. Teochew porridge, fried mee teow and the Teochew dumplings - I still remember the taste of it. Meanwhile, my paternal grandma was Hakka. I know Hakka Lui Cha is in your mind but she wasn't a good cook, so I never had any chance to have any homemade Lui Cha. Nevertheless, she never failed to give us some famous Penang's  biscuits since she was from Penang.

I guess I should be grateful that I had the valuable chance to grow with my both grandmas. Times spent at grandma's are often marked by love, laughter and contentment. I still could remember vividly that my both grandmas like to gamble when I was small. They really liked to play cards from day to night. When they were off from the gambling table, they would  exchange their views on how to take care of health as they were ageing and of course some exchange of secret recipes for the family.

In fact, grandmas are often responsible for bringing the whole family together. I believe you and I had some family problems at some juncture of life. Certainly, grandma will be the bastion to keep the family established and prosper. They would raise the voice if they see something amiss. Raising the voice doesn't mean irrational sometimes, the loud voice serves as a wake up call on what to be done and what is right.

Because grandmothers are such a source of joy for their grandchildren, they are always sorely missed when they pass away. To lose a grandmother is to lose a most valuable family member.

Our family is deeply saddened to inform you that grandma (paternal) has passed away yesterday morning. Though we were well-prepared that her days were numbered but it was still a great loss for us.

We will forever hold in our hearts in which we have truly learned the most from. Your strength as a wonderful mother to our mother
and father and which we hope to gain in raising your great grandsons and great grand daughters. As you enter your new heavenly home, may you rest in peace for which you truly deserve.

I have lost my both grandma - Ah Mah from mother side and Penang Ah Mah from father side (it was  rather funny why my brother and I called her Penang Ah Mah- just simple because she was from Penang). Both of them always reminded me one thing when they were around - "Please take care of your daddy & mommy" - and I always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment