Friday, April 27, 2012

Bersih 3.0 : The night before D Day


When I told my mom that I’m going to Bersih 3.0, her reaction was rather nonchalant  - “Oh okay” Whereas , my baby was “You have nothing better to do?!”
To be honest, this is the second time I’m going to a demonstration. The first one was in 2009, when the Pakatan government collapsed, and I joined thousand of Perakians  at the Datuk Seri Nizar’s residence to give him support.
Three years on and I couldn’t believe that I need to join thousand of Malaysians to clean the crappy electoral system.
Why joining?
Apart  from the Eight Demands for cleaner and fairer election in the name of democracy, just look at our authority lately.
Under the Peaceful Assembly Act 2011, which came into force on Monday, assemblies in motion are prohibited but gatherings at designated areas of assembly may proceed without police permit once proper notice is given. Erm, so if my friends and I so happen wearing the same colour of shirt and so happen are going the same destination is considered as unlawful?
Next, Section 14(1) of the Act, which the Najib administration said would allow freedom of assembly in accordance with international norms, stated that police could only impose conditions for any planned assembly but not disallow it – so why now they don’t allow us to sit and protest peacefully at Dataran Merdeka?
They are not only breach the Peaceful Assembly Act but also the Federal Constitution of Article 10 in which every citizen has the right to freedom of speech and expression, all citizens have the right to assemble peacefully and without arms.
What so sick about Malaysia democracy scene recently is  that Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof and Datuk Wan Ahmad Wan Omar both chairman and deputy chairman respectively were once UMNO member. Seriously, the heads who are conducting and counting our votes were member of the UMNO – their integrity can be trusted?
I think this is my last note before I join thousands of rakyat marching in to Dataran Merdeka, we are not pro opposition or pro government neither. All we want is clean and fair election. We have been silent for so many years, last year we had risen up and said no, this year, thousands of people on Malaysian soil joining by thousand more Malaysians around the world once again come together as 1Malaysia to demand our freedom and democracy back to us.
Power to the people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment